Thursday, August 2, 2007

Welcome

I have been mommy to The Wee Man for the past eight months. The experience has been so joyful, but all-consuming too. For the first six months of my son’s life, I swear, I was in a bit of a haze. Once the haze started to lift I realized that even though my life had changed drastically, I was still the same old me with the same likes and dislikes that I had prior to becoming a mommy. However, the self-imposed pressure to “do well” at being a mom almost dictated that I reinvent myself as someone who solely focuses on my new role and forget about the old me. And I know I’m not the only new mom who goes through this.

I found that I needed to laugh, and laugh at myself, as I navigated this new world and to not take myself too seriously. So, yes, I no longer deny that I enjoy a cocktail or two or that I can let the F-bomb fly if I get cut off in traffic. And I don’t want to always discuss all things baby. I may have shoved my designer purses to the back of the closet in favor of a diaper bag and high heels just don’t go with a stroller. But I am determined to combine mommyhood with a whole range of other interests. And that is also what I intend to do with this blog. If it happens to generate a few laughs along the way – bonus.

No comments: